Softweerd Forum
Bienvenue, Invité. Veuillez vous connecter ou vous enregistrer.
Septembre 23, 2020, 08:42:24

Connexion avec identifiant, mot de passe et durée de la session
Recherche:     Recherche +
Les inscriptions au forum sont modérées suites aux abus. Si votre inscription a été supprimée par erreur, utilisez le formulaire de contact pour m'en informer
1299 Messages dans 111 Sujets par 98 Membres
Dernier membre: patrice
* Accueil Aide Recherche Identifiez-vous Enregistrez-vous
+  Softweerd Forum
|-+  Logiciels gratuits
| |-+  Passweerd
| | |-+  Good utility
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Pages: [1] Imprimer
Auteur Sujet: Good utility  (Lu 15811 fois)
MRO

Good utility
« le: Février 25, 2007, 04:25:09 »

Hi all.. unluckily don't know French lang very well, even if often in Paris for my job.
About Passweerd, which I like very much, I have some points/questions:
hope these questions are also useful for Mr. Weerd, to fix something and/or make some mod's..
(or explain me the way to..)
1) since Passweerd is a very good utility, think that it'd be helpful a small readme.txt inside:
of course the software is well made and easy to be understood, but not all is always very clear..
e.g. for someone like me, who doesn't speek French, the forum isn't helpful.. so a double lang
(Eng and Fre) readme inside.. just main pts should be enough
all very clear, but to use the software studying new application way..
2) infact: as I wrote in another thread, I already tried to install Passweerd on USB drive instead
of Hard Disk (could be useful to keepin my pocket the tool, and use it in any PC)..
- apart what happens in WinXP registry (don't know which keys are written, moreover if it is
installed on external drive like in my test)
- the problem is that by default Passweerd searchs the passkeys on Hard Disk installation dir's
(in Your cases Program Files, in my case Programmi\Passweerd..).. even if installed on USB
- or differently it means that it writes some keys in O.S. registry and by default goes there
to serach for passkeys..
I tell this because installed on C:\Programmi\Passweerd.. later as test installed on USB drive too:
but it countinues to search on C:\Programmi\Passweerd
(better toerase the registry keys if/once uninstalli it)
3) for same reason (forget for a moment my question about USB):
when passweerd asks "where do I write your passkeys?" you can reply whatever you wish..
in any case the software, later, searchs firstly in its installation directory / then you have to
run a long way to go to USB drive and make it read the passkey..
I suggest, if possible, to make *.exe writing an *.ini file to instruct Passweerd to search
into choosen location (something like "once selected a directory go always to search on that
one")..
of course that should be very important for two reasons:
A- if undesired guest tries to enter in the program, better "don't to indicate him the tool's
installation dir as first"
B- the installation dir is never the passkeys dir indeed (!): so better to let the PC admin
decide where Passweerd has to search for
4) I tried to put my passkeys on mobile phone smart card (might be I loose or forget my
USB pen drive when change my suit.. but it'd be more difficult to loose mobile phone):
well.. differently from other tools, Passweerd is unable to see the phone dir (which is
regularly displayed as all other PC directories)
E.g. I put passkey of cryptation tool on mobile phone and it works properly: why not
Passweerd? it'd be a good suggestion to leave passkeys on telephone (of course after
a backup)
Hope don't to have benn boring, but helpful:
I like Your tool very much, and its chance to save records with so many formats,
the selection way, the codes etc.. are okay
Thanks also to have translated in Italian lang too!!!
Bye
Mauro
Journalisée

Mauro Vicariotto
Maryse
Administrator

Re : Good utility
« Répondre #1 le: Février 25, 2007, 09:05:14 »

Hello Mauro,

1. In general, I try to avoid help files in my freewares....but I can understand that it could be useful.  No help will be made for the moment.

2. Passweerd does not use the registry.  In place, it uses a file (ini file named passweerd.prm).
The executable file opens always database in the directory where it is.   I would like to know how you know that the program searches passwords on Program files.
After having copied files on your USB key, try to double click on the executable from your USB and not using a shortcut on your PC.  Otherwise, if you have copied the entire directory of Passweerd on your USB key, you have also copied the database of Passweerd on your USB key (files : passman.*), and this could maybe explain why you believe the program is running from your hard drive.

2+3. If you talk about login or rescue keys (text files), Passweerd opens the directory where it is located or the last directory used.

Citation
I suggest, if possible, to make *.exe writing an *.ini file to instruct Passweerd to search
into choosen location (something like "once selected a directory go always to search on that
one")..
I have not done this because it is a secutiry hole and moreover (A+B), if you install Passweerd (full program) on a USB key, you don't put of course on the same USB key, the rescue or login files.

4.  It is in my intention to make a Passweerd Pocket/Smart phone version....not for free !  But I still do not know when it will be available.

« Dernière édition: Février 25, 2007, 09:12:28 par Maryse » Journalisée
MRO

Re: Good utility
« Répondre #2 le: Février 26, 2007, 08:03:03 »

Thanks a lot Maryse.
1) I understand that You don't put README, moreover on free utilities.
ThankYou for info: it's good that Passweerd don't use registry but its *.ini file
2bis) we misunderstood (sorry, I didn't explain well): I exactly mean that the *.exe searchs where it is, means in the installation dir/its folder:
now, if I have the program installed on C:\Programmi (or Program Files)\Passweerd, but want to use USB drive to keep only the keyfiles
(login and resque *.txt files only), it'd be useful for the executable to search in the dir I ask him as my option, and not as default in its place.
I mean: Passweerd goes to search login file to C:\Progr.\Passweerd\login.. then I have to tell it: go to F:\ (USB drive) running browser..
But if a generated *.ini says:   "save last directory used and search in it.." (e.g.) I browse first time but later just insert my USB pen to quickly
open Passweerd on my PC (like a sort of real key)
That's my opinion, don't understand why it should be a hole for security.. please explain me (Tks)
3) but You seem to say that it pens last dir used (like what I mean).. doesn't happen to me.. (??) it always goes to its directory
and then I have to change.. if I made a mistake pls. tell me
4) for the mobile phone use.. agree that it cannot be for free: but it's always good to pay for a good utility

Just last question (sorry):
to make some changes might be I have to uninstall Passweerd and reinstall it: of course avoiding to copy all my many passwords (!!)
to save the pwd record already done:
is it enough to save the database (files passman.*) and old login and resque *.txt files.. the overwrite them onto new installation?
(or do I loose all?)

Thanks again (tel ciao to Paris for me)
Mauro
Journalisée

Mauro Vicariotto
Maryse
Administrator

Re : Good utility
« Répondre #3 le: Février 27, 2007, 08:44:03 »

Hello Mauro,

2bis.  It is just what I mean by security hole.....because if people do not save the rescue files on a USB key, than it is quite easy to know where is the receue key located on the PC....

3.  Each time you start Passweerd, the first selection is always the default directory and then it keeps in mind the last directories you search until you close Passweerd.

When re-installing Passweerd above the one existing, you do not lose anything : login, rescue and passwords (which are already stored in the passman.* files).  But, if you save again the main password to enter Passweerd, the login and recue keys are regenerated and then are different......and then keep the new ones because the old are no more valid.

Regards from Belgium !
Journalisée
MRO

Re: Good utility
« Répondre #4 le: Février 27, 2007, 10:40:17 »

ThankYou (Merci) Maryse
I guessed You were from France..
Your replies were very useful.
I will suggest Passweerd to all my friends here.
And will write the readme in Italian.
Regards.
Journalisée

Mauro Vicariotto
MRO

Re: Re : Good utility
« Répondre #5 le: Février 27, 2007, 10:43:35 »

Hello Mauro,

2bis.  It is just what I mean by security hole.....because if people do not save the rescue files on a USB key, than it is quite easy to know where is the receue key located on the PC....
YOY'RE TOTALLY RIGHT.. AGREED ABOUT THIS.. DID NOT CONSIDER THIS POINT!

3.  Each time you start Passweerd, the first selection is always the default directory and then it keeps in mind the last directories you search until you close Passweerd.

When re-installing Passweerd above the one existing, you do not lose anything : login, rescue and passwords (which are already stored in the passman.* files).  But, if you save again the main password to enter Passweerd, the login and recue keys are regenerated and then are different......and then keep the new ones because the old are no more valid.

Regards from Belgium !

Journalisée

Mauro Vicariotto
Pages: [1] Imprimer 
« sujet précédent | | sujet suivant »
Aller à:  

Propulsé par MySQL Propulsé par PHP Softweerd Forum | Propulsé par SMF 1.0.8.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. Tous droits réservés.
XHTML 1.0 Transitionnel valide ! CSS valide !